Vikings lose to Trojans in overtime

POULSBO — The North Kitsap homecoming football game ended with an interception and the first loss in league play for the Vikings.

The final score of the game Friday night against the Olympic High School Trojans was 34-28 in overtime.

Taking first possession of the ball in OT, the Trojans beat back the Viking defense for a touchdown. The point after kick; however, was no good.

With a missed kick, some of the pressure was off the Vikings; needing to make a touchdown and point after touchdown for the win. Vikings kicker Kyler Gracey missed a single field goal attempt during the game and was four for four in the point after.

Gracey would not get his chance to add the final point.

A Trojan interception during the Vikings last series from the 20 yard line would end it for the team.

"It was a hell of a game," Trojan head coach Tim Allbee said. "Both sides: warriors.

"Kids just never gave up on either side — cramping up, throwing up. They had a heck of a game … They'll remember this for the rest of their lives."

Though the Trojan offense was struggling at times, Allbee said the team's defense kept the team in the game.

"When it comes down to it, we all pitched in at the end and got the win," he said.

Both team's had quick touchdowns. A Trojan interception put the team on the board in the first quarter with more than nine minutes remaining. The Vikings answer back with a 43 yard passing touchdown. Before the end of the first quarter, a 25 yard pass from Viking quarterback AJ Milyard to Andrew Urquhart left the team ahead 14-13 going into the second.

The second quarter began much like the first ended. A 36 yard pass from Milyard to Urquhart put the Vikings up 21-13 with the only score of the second quarter.

The Trojans were the first to make it into the end zone with less than six minutes remaining in the third. Still down 21-19, the Trojans scored a two-point conversion.

The game was tied going into the fourth quarter.

Gracey was given his first field goal opportunity of the night — more than 30 yards out — and missed.

With a turnover, the Trojans first series in the fourth was halted by a fumble and Viking recovery. The Vikings, given a second chance at a potential lead, fumbled at third and goal.

With less than six minutes left in the Trojans were forced to punt. After a 30 yard pass from Milayrd to Urquhart, the Vikings once again fumbled. This time, Trojans took advantage of the fumble when running back Ben Long ran more than 40 yards for a touchdown.

The Vikings had just over two minutes left in their last drive, which they took full advantage of. After a quick drive down the field, the Vikings scored with one minute left.

The final scored going into OT was 28-28.

The Vikings (3-1 in the Olympic League) go on the road Oct. 14 to play Port Angeles.

Individual stats will be posted when available.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates