Shins clash during rivalry match

NK’s Nick Tedford heads the ball in an aggressive match against Kingston Tuesday night.  - Brad Camp/For the Herald
NK’s Nick Tedford heads the ball in an aggressive match against Kingston Tuesday night.
— image credit: Brad Camp/For the Herald

KINGSTON — In minute 33 of play, Kingston’s Alex Newton stood in front of a wall of North Kitsap Vikings, preparing for a free kick.

Newton sent a straight shot toward the wall, and what turned into Kingston’s first goal also resulted in a concussion for Viking Nate Foster.

A rivalry soccer match  Tuesday between the Vikings and the Kingston Buccaneers had many players limping, and the game ended in a tie.

The Vikings faced the Buccaneers at home and the match, which head coach Chris May compares to an Army/Navy football game, ended 1-1.

During rivalry matches, records no longer matter and May said a team with zero wins facing a team with five will be played just as hard or harder in a rivalry match than a league match. In a rivalry match, emotion is what drives the teams, he said.

“If you don’t bring some heart and desire, you’re not going to win,” May said. “Tonight it was about who brought the most heart. And I would say both teams, basically, had a terrific, big-hearted game.”

Tuesday’s match was the fourth between the teams. In the 2007-08 season, the teams tied 1-1; the following two years, the Vikings won 1-0.

The Vikings’ record is now 7-2-1 overall, 2-0-1 league. The Bucs are now 8-1-3 overall and 2-0-2 league.

Many of the athletes on both teams play together on teams together outside of school, May said. This adds to the competition when they play against each other.

“You get here and it just becomes a knock-down, drag-out,” May said.

The game Tuesday night was the first the Bucs have played in mostly dry conditions, head  coach  Craig  Smith  said.   Although the temperature  dropped  quickly, the teams enjoyed a game under a blue sky.

The game went scoreless through the first 25 minutes and before the first goal was made, Viking player Matt Turley left the game with an injury that may keep him out for a while, May said.

Kingston’s Aksel Ulvang and Nick Boles made the team’s first attack at the goal. They were unsuccessful, and Viking Garrett Wilder responded with the first goal of the game in minute 16 of the first half, with an assist by Nick Tedford.

Though the Viking offense kept Buc keeper Jason Kramberger busy, Kramberger was able to stave off the constant shots.

In minute 33 of play, Newton responded to the Vikings’ onslaught with a free kick that bounced off the head of Foster and eventually turned into an own-goal, with the Vikings scoring on themselves.

The second half resulted in multiple yellow cards for the teams. The game would end tied after two 5-minute periods of overtime.

Kingston defender and midfielder Chad Trask was pressured throughout the entire game. He faced similar obstacles the last few games and said he was expecting to face tough opponents. The tie, he said, was the most difficult part of the night.

“My intensity does come up a little,” Trask said of the rivalry match. “I always try hard, but there’s just something that comes up during these rivalry games ... Even a tie is more difficult than a loss to another opponent.”

The Bucs travel to Olympic High School today; the game starts at 3:30 p.m.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates