Letters to the Editor

Race for the cure continues

As always, it would be difficult to find a more energetic and committed group of passengers as filled the Sunday, June 7, 7:05 a.m. sailing to Seattle for the 2009 Komen Puget Sound Race for the Cure at Qwest Field. Nearly 200 members of this year’s “Team Town and Country” (for the 15th year sponsored by Town and Country Markets Inc.), raising nearly $7,500, joined other teams throughout the Puget Sound area to walk and run in support of fundraising efforts.

More than $2 million was raised, a record high. Approximately 75 percent of the net proceeds will remain in the Puget Sound area to benefit medically underserved women (and men) while the remaining 25 percent will be invested in national research.

Our heartfelt thanks to all participants for an enthusiastic team presence in a morning filled with emotion, courage and much hope on the way to eradicating breast cancer as a life-threatening disease by advancing research, screening, education and treatment.

The race for the breast cancer cure continues.

Team Town and Country Co-Captains

Ellen Nakata, Susan Calhoun, Su Reith, Kay Jensen

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates