Some stories will never be forgotten

Not all news stories rate huge headlines, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important. While the pages flew off the calendar bringing 2008 to an abrupt close, many faces and places splashed across the pages of The North Kitsap Herald – some famous, some infamous.

From an editorial perspective, there were stories that stood alone, either because they had a huge emotional impact on the community or because the stories unfolded slowly and cautiously, like a novel that holds the most interesting bits for the last pages of the book.

Here are some movers and shakers and events that will forever be intertwined with 2008:

Christopher’s last stand

In May, Christopher R. Berg, then 23, was sentenced to 57 months in prison for his involvement in a string of residential burglaries in the North End. Berg inadvertently got more than his fair share of attention in March for the now infamous two-hour “standoff” in the Peninsula Glen Apartments in Poulsbo.

Authorities had been tracking Berg for weeks and were tipped off he was staying at an apartment in the Peninsula Glens, which are located adjacent to North Kitsap High School and across the street from Poulsbo Middle School. With TV news helicopters hovering overhead, a remote controlled camera robot was sent in to survey the scene, which is when authorities realized Berg was nowhere to be found.

The burglary ring victimized homes from State Route 308 in Poulsbo to north of Hansville, and from the Hood Canal Bridge east to Port Gamble, Kingston, Indianola, Suquamish and Bainbridge Island according to a news release from the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office.

Finger-licking good BBQ

Poulsbo’s Pat Momany, owner of TaTu BBQ, traveled to Landstuhl, Germany, to treat soldiers to some good, old-fashioned Texas barbecue.

The 10-day trip was a personal homecoming for Momany. He spent six years of his childhood in the European city. While in Germany, he barbecued for soldiers at The Fisher House.

The Fisher House is a place where families of wounded soldiers can stay for free, much like the Ronald McDonald House in the United States.

Farewell, friend

Blaze, the famous North Kitsap Fire & Rescue dog, died in February following a brief illness. In every incarnation, be it ambassador, teacher or fashion model, Blaze was a beloved member of the community.

He was born on June 7, 1994, in Kingston to Reba and Buttons, members of the Gary Steele Family. The Steeles knew from the beginning the spirited dalmation was destined for a career in a fire department. NKF&R members agreed and adopted Blaze after he was weaned from his mother.

He was initially assigned to the fire department’s operations division, where he was treated to his own seat on the fire engine and got to respond to emergencies. He soon requested a transfer by chewing through radio equipment and seat upholstery. His transfer was granted to the community services division. There, he assisted fire fighters with fire and injury prevention efforts.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates