- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Bellringer: Teddy Bear Coalition strikes again this year
POULSBO — They prefer to remain anonymous, but the work they do is worthy of attention.
Each year, right around mid-December, a man and a woman stops by the Herald to fatten Bellringer’s coffers. Going by the name “the Teddy Bear Coalition,” they drop off money orders (to remain anonymous) and bring by stuffed teddy bears for the food drive that accompanies Bellringer.
This year, they sweetened the deal. In their annual visit on Dec. 8, the couple dropped off a $500 money order, 30 Albertsons gift cards worth $20 — each for a total of $600 — plus three black bags full of teddy bears. This single donation counted for one-sixth of the $6,555 in donations that came in this week.
Bellringer is an annual fund drive headed by the Poulsbo Lions Club that offers one-time assistance to families to pay rent and utilities. The goal is to raise $35,000, which is enough to fund 100 food baskets the week prior to Christmas for needy families. These baskets are given out at both the North Kitsap Fishline and Kingston’s ShareNet.
Business owner Mike Brooks of Mike’s Car Wash, located in the Poulsbo Village, will donate $2 from each car wash in the month of December to the Bellringer fund.
To contribute to the Fishline’s annual toy drive, you can bring new unwrapped toys to either the North Kitsap Herald Office or the Fishline office in Poulsbo.
Donations to the fund can be dropped off at Frontier Bank in Poulsbo or the North Kitsap Herald office, 18887 Hwy 305, Suite 700.
Donations can also be mailed to Bellringer Fund, P.O. Box 1244, Poulsbo, WA, 98370. All donations are tax deducible through the Raab Foundation which is a nonprofit organization created by the Lions Club.
The following donations rolled in this week:
• Marion Hansen, in memory of loved ones, $50;
• Muriel, In forever memory of Cliff, $100;
• John and Sylvia Castleman, in loving memory of daughter Vicky, $70;
• Earl and Norma Hanson, in memory of our parents, $25;
• Henshaw family, $750;
• Little Norway Grandmothers, $50;
• Frank and Sharon Schmid, in memory of Frank Raab, $25;
• Dale and Barbara Rudolph, $200;
• Jan Lofall, in memory of Glen, $100;
• Frank and Gina Poole and Leanne Crumpton, in memory of Martha DeCoteau, $100;
• Ralph Robie, in memory of Phyllis, $150;
• Nancy and John Belgarde, in memory of Dean Belgarde, $50;
• Sue Guldjord, $100;
• Jan Seifert, wishing all a merry Christmas, $100;
• Kelly and Karl Hadley, $1,500;
• Anonymous, $100;
• Marcia Johnson, in memory of Martha DeCoteau, $50;
• Lester Schmuck, $100;
• Sandi Jackson and Dave Birkeland, in memory of Martha DeCoteau, $50;
• Victor and Beverly Clough, $50;
• Ben and Dianne Hauger, $30;
• The Nelson family, in memory of Larry Nelson and Alex O’Handley, $100;
• Anne Thomas, in memory of Chuck Thomas, $100;
• James Schoettler, $100;
• The Hougue family, the Whitcher family and the Weiss Jr. family, in memory of Mom and Dad, Richard “Spider” and Barbara Weiss, $100;
• In memory of Solveig Swanson, $35;
• Ronald and Helen Humes, $35;
• Marlene and Mike Hattrick, in memory of Margaret and Al Brooks, $50;
• Anonymous, in memory of Vi and Bill Longneiker and Irene, $200;
• Anonymous, $100;
• Dick and Donna Endresen, in memory of our loved ones, $400;
• The Thimbleberries Club at Heirloom Quilts and Fabric, $175;
• Anonymous, $100;
• The Teddybear Coalition, $500; and $600 in Albertsons gift cards;
• Irving Spellman, in memory of Eleanor, $50;
• Dick Risley, $110;
• Gene and Sandy Fullerton, in memory of the Fullertons, the Spinners, the Jacobsens and the Sommerseths, $50;
• Kiwanis Club of Greater Poulsbo (accidentally omitted from last week), $1,000.
This week’s total: $6,555
Grand total: $11,695