News

Gamblewood mobile home blaze caused by extension cord

An extension cord powering a space heater was blamed for sparking a fire Tuesday night that destroyed a mobile home, scorched a nearby structure and left three homeless.

The blaze was reported by neighbors at 7:12 p.m. When crews arrived on the 26000 block of Firwood Road NE in the Gamblewood neighborhood seven minutes after the call flames reached so high incoming firefighters thought it was a two-story house burning.

Firefighters immediately began protecting surrounding property, “To keep the problem from getting bigger,” said North Kitsap Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal inspected the remains of the mobile home to determine the cause, according to a statement from the department.

The owner of the property has insurance.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.