- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Eglon toddler dies after accident
EGLON — An Eglon toddler was killed in a tragic accident at her family home on June 17.
At about 1 p.m., the 15-year-old sister of the victim was running an errand in the family’s car. A preliminary investigation by the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office indicated the toddler was behind the vehicle and the driver didn’t see her. When paramedics arrived at the property on the 33700 block of NE Elgon Road, family members and neighbors were performing first aid on the toddler.
The toddler was taken to Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton, where she was pronounced dead.
Maybe they’ll name him ‘Parker’
Poulsbo Fire Paramedic George Epperly assisted a 32-year-old Kingston woman giving birth to her baby boy in the parking lot of Harrison Medical Center in Silverdale June 17.
The woman and her husband were on their way to the hospital just before 4 a.m. when they realized they might not make it in time.
After calling 911, the operator encouraged the couple to stop by the Poulsbo Fire Department.
Paramedics and EMTs quickly helped the woman and her husband into the back of a medic unit.
“Just as we pulled into the hospital parking lot, the baby decided it was time to come out,” Epperly said. “She gave birth to a healthy baby boy. We let dad cut the umbilical cord.”
The baby was delivered at 4:02 a.m. Both the baby and mother are doing fine.
“I’ve delivered several babies before, normally at home or en route to the hospital,” he said. “This is the first one I’ve delivered in the hospital parking lot.”
No one hurt in Poulsbo house fire
North Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded to a residential structure fire on Port Gamble Road NE just north of Gunderson on June 18. Firefighters arrived on scene four minutes after they were dispatched and extinguished a grease fire in the kitchen of the home.
A mother and her two sons were home at the time of the fire. The mother said she tried to smother the fire with towels, but the towels ignited.
“Damage is mostly confined to the kitchen; the stovetop will need to be replaced. There is also some smoke damage to the house,” said Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Kier.
Teen airlifted after accident
POULSBO — An 18-year-old Poulsbo man was airlifted Wednesday night to Harborview Medical center after a head-on collision on State Route 305. He was listed in satisfactory condition on Thursday morning.
According to police reports, the man fell asleep at the wheel and crossed the center line just south of Seminole Road. He drove his 1997 two-door Saturn into a 2003 GMC pickup truck driven by a 43-year-old Poulsbo man.
The 43-year-old wasn’t hurt.