June 10, 2008 · Updated 7:43 PM
Family loses cat,
possessions in fire
KINGSTON A cat was found dead after a fire broke out in a Highland Road home March 25, according to a report from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue.
Crews were called to the residence on Highland Road shortly after 6 p.m. Friday after a neighbor witnessed smoke coming from the homes eaves. The residents had left the home around 5 p.m. and did not return until 10 p.m.
Crews found the smoke and flames burning in one corner of the living room of the approximately 1,000-square-foot home. They quickly squelched the fire and removed the hot air and smoke with a fan, as well as cut into the tongue-and-groove ceiling to extinguish hot spots.
A cat was found inside a bedroom and could not be revived. A small dog escaped the house but was found outside and appeared to be uninjured.
Kitsap County Fire Marshals Office investigators said the blaze most likely sparked when the electrical wiring to a light switch failed. The flames apparently spread through the wall in the living room to a bookcase. Although fire damage was limited to the wall and ceiling, intense heat caused damage throughout the room. While smoke permeated the entire structure, many of the homes contents were salvageable.
The NKF&R Community Partnership Fund secured a hotel room for the couple and their dog. There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians.
Power pole falls
JEFFERSON BEACH A power pole, apparently weakened by the March 20 windstorms, fell Friday afternoon, interrupting power and blocking Munson Street.
North Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews arrived on the scene between Jefferson Beach Road and Virginia Drive, south of Kingston, shortly after 12:15 p.m. March 25 after a citizen reported the problem as well as a power outage.
Firefighters found the pole split at ground level and blocking the width of the residential street. They contacted Puget Sound Energy, provided traffic control and waited for repair personnel who arrived within the hour.
During the March 20 storm, a large tree had reportedly fallen onto nearby power lines and fire officials believe Fridays fallen pole may have been damaged at that time.
scam lands in NK
The Kitsap County Sheriffs Office is warning residents about false airline ticket Web sites.
The following Internet Web sites have been identified as scams: www.BusySky.net, www.CheapClouds.com, www.CrazyTickets.net and www.SubmitPrice.net.
The sites attract customers by undercutting airline ticket prices offered elsewhere. They capture credit card information, including account number, expiration date and CVV (an anti-fraud security feature on credit cards). The customer receives a message stating that the credit card transaction has been declined but they need to wire funds overseas for payment of the ticket, typically to Bulgaria. The Secret Service has been informed of the sites.
Law enforcement recommends that residents use only known and trusted Web sites when conducting online business, including travel arrangements. To report cyber incidents, go to http://wacirc.wa.gov/reportform/incidentform.asp or call the DIS Helpdesk at (360) 753-2454 or (888) 241-7597.