News

911 Briefs

Second fatality in three

months at Finn Hill

POULSBO — A 24-year-old Bremerton man was killed while driving onto the offramp at Finn Hill Road from State Route 3 early Thursday morning.

Washington State Patrol troopers were dispatched to the scene of the one-car accident at about 2:30 a.m. June 10.

Troopers at the scene found a 1989 Ford Taurus that had exited the highway onto the offramp and struck the left guardrail. The car had crossed back over the road and hit the right side of the guardrail before stopping.

The man, whose name cannot be released because his next of kin has not been notified as of Herald press time, was pronounced dead on the scene. No passengers were in the vehicle.

The driver was wearing his seatbelt, however, troopers believe speed and alcohol were factors in the collision.

This is the second fatality in three months in which alcohol had been considered as a factor in deadly crashes at the Finn Hill Road exit. Troopers believed alcohol was involved in a March 30 accident when a Quilcene father was driving his two sons onto the offramp and the youngest, a 6-year-old boy, was killed when the driver struck the left guardrail.

Propane heater

causes house fire

SUQUAMISH — A heater located on a combustible surface in a home under construction has been pinpointed as the cause of an early morning fire this week.

Crews from Poulsbo Fire Department, North Kitsap Fire & Rescue and Bainbridge Island Fire Department were called to the scene at 15571 Cedar Grove Road in Suquamish around 4:30 a.m. June 8.

The property owner told investigators he had placed a propane heater directly on the plywood subfloor in the new home to help speed the drying process of sheet rock mud. Officials said they believe the device, which has a heating element at its base, sparked the fire when it burned through the floor and dropped into a crawlspace. The unit’s fuel tank added to the flames.

Such fires are common, said PFD Deputy Fire Marshal Jerry Cooper. He estimated his department has responded to as many as 20 similar incidents over the past five years.

The house was not a complete loss because it was reported before the blaze got out of hand. Neighbors, who were up at 4 a.m. to catch a ferry, noticed smoke and flames coming from the front door of the new home and dialed 911.

There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians and the property owner is insured.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.