News

Officials believe Poulsbo fire was caused by a lighter

POULSBO — A family of six was left with just the clothes on their backs this week after a house fire destroyed the remainder of their possessions.

Crews from the Poulsbo Fire Department, North Kitsap Fire & Rescue and Bainbridge Island Fire Department responded to the residence on Rova Road shortly after 7 p.m. April 20 to find the mobile home fully engulfed in flames and a total loss.

Deputy Fire Marshal Jerry Cooper said the cause of the fire was improper use of a lighter. There were no injuries to residents or to firefighters.

“Homeowners should take extreme caution with matches and lighters and view them as tools that are potentially dangerous items within the home,” said Michele Jennings, spokeswoman for the Poulsbo Fire Department. “They should not be stored in locations that are easily accessible by children or teens.”

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to help the family find housing.

PFD crews were called to another structure fire shortly after 4 a.m. April 21. Crews confined the heavy flames in the lower level of the two-story residence on WHERE, saving the rest of the home, officials said. PFD crews also received assistance from Puget Sound Federal Fire and NKF&R.

“There was extensive smoke damage to the upper level of the home but many items are salvageable,” Gillard???? said. “While crews were able to quickly locate the family dog inside the house, the pet did not survive the fire.”

Cooper said the fire was caused by an electric blanket.

One adult resident was treated at the scene. The American Red Cross was called to the scene to help the family with housing.

“It is imperative that everyone, especially those with children in the home, take the time to plan and practice their escape routes,” Jennings explained. “When fire breaks out, you have only seconds to escape its heat, black smoke and deadly gases. A fire can engulf a home in a matter of seconds and you need to be able to react quickly.”

SIDEBAR:

Two donation drives have been set up to collect clothing and personal items for the family of Charlie and Lucy Tuggle, who lost everything in a house fire this week.

The Kingston Kiwanis and Olympic Printer Resources, Inc. of Kingston is holding a clothing drive for the family, especially the children, who are ages 14, 13, 12 and 11. They are looking for shirts: men’s large and small, women’s medium and size 10/12 for girls; Pants: 33 by 30 for men, 14/16 for boys, 12 regular for girls and women’s 10 short; shoes: 10 1/2 and 8 1/2 for men and 4 and 6 1/2 for women.

Call Olympic Printer Resources at (360) 297-8384 to schedule a pick up. Donations can also be dropped off at the office in the lower level of the Bradley Center on State Route 104.

The North Kitsap School District is also collecting donations for the family. Both Suquamish Elementary and Kingston Junior High will be accepting donations of money, clothing and other items. Contact Doug Segur at KJH (360) 297-7070 or Pam Goodman at Suquamish Elementary at (360) 598-4219 about donating.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates