Teething squirrel probable culprit of Monday morning Poulsbo blackout
By JENNIFER MORRIS
North Kitsap Herald Reporter
June 10, 2008 · Updated 3:54 PM
POULSBO The Viking City got a taste of the Viking Age Monday morning during a one-hour power outage. And an area squirrel may have gotten a taste of more than he bargained for.
According to Puget Sound Energy spokesperson Joseph Harris, it was a squirrel that sparked the circuit shutdown leaving 1,804 homes and businesses in the dark between 8:38 a.m. and 9:46 a.m. Downtown Poulsbo and the Poulsbo Village, among other areas along State Route 305, were without electricity. By 8:50 a.m., two PSE servicemen began their investigation of a local underground terminal, in which they believe a squirrel bit into a fuse and blew the circuitry, Harris said.
The circuitry was reenergized and power was restored for most, although about 100 residents remained in the dark until the distribution line could be replaced.Contact North Kitsap Herald Reporter Jennifer Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-779-4464.