North Kitsap Herald


Pan fire catches Poulsbo home on fire

February 8, 2013 · 9:59 AM

A 78-year-old woman suffered smoke inhalation and her 53-year-old son was burned during a house fire that spread from the kitchen to the attic at the Clear Creek home in Poulsbo Feb. 7. / Kipp Robertson/ Herald

POULSBO — A 78-year-old woman and her 53-year-old son evacuated their home Feb. 7 after a fire spread from their kitchen to the attic.

The woman suffered smoke inhalation. The man was burned when he tried to grab the burning pan his mother had been using, but the extent of his injury was not known Friday morning. Both declined to be transported to the hospital.

The fire began in the cooking pan and spread to cabinets and the ceiling.

Firefighters from Poulsbo Fire, Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue, and Navy Region Northwest responded at 3:20 p.m. to the home on Clear Creek Road. When firefighters arrived, smoke was coming from windows and eaves.

Crews were forced to cut a hole through the ceiling and put out flames in the attic. The firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in a few minutes, according to Poulsbo Fire spokeswoman Jody Matson.

There was extensive smoke damage to the kitchen.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal is investigating the fire. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the two residents.


Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us