News

911 Briefs

Racial graffiti found

at White Horse

KINGSTON — Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched around noon March 27 to the 23000 block of South Kingston Road NE for a report of graffiti on a sign at the White Horse development entrance.

The suspects had written “No illegals” and “No Mexican labor” on the sign in black marker. The reporting party, an employee for the development, said he tried to cover up the graffiti with white spray paint and said the incident took place during the previous night. The victim noted legal laborers from Mexico are employed in the housing development.

Smoke alarm

saves three lives

SUQUAMISH — Firefighters credited working smoke alarms and the quick action of the Suquamish Tribal Police Department for saving the lives of a mother and her two children March 29.

Crews from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue, Bainbridge Island Fire Department and Poulsbo Fire Department were dispatched to the residential structure fire at 1:45 a.m. Tribal police officers heard the call and responded to the scene as well, arriving just before the first fire crews from NKF&R’s Suquamish station.

Officers found flames on the exterior of the 1,200 square-foot, one-story home and used a fire extinguisher from a patrol car to stop the fire’s spread. Firefighters ensured no fire remained and removed smoke from inside the home.

The mother told firefighters she had been asleep on the couch when she was awakened by an activated smoke alarm, as were her children. The woman saw a light haze inside and the flames outside. The mother called 911 and the three then evacuated the residence.

An NKF&R fire investigator determined the fire started in a 33-gallon plastic trash can outside against the house, where ashes and other combustibles had been disposed of earlier that night.

While the fire was on the outside of the home, smoke had seeped into the interior and tripped the smoke alarms.

Fire officials noted that coals and ashes, even when cool to the touch, may retain enough heat energy for a week or longer to spark a blaze. To avoid such an incident, officials offer the following safety tips: Dispose of fireplace, woodstove and/or barbecue residue in a metal can with tight-fitting lid; thoroughly douse the ashes and/or coals with water; and store the can clear of anything else than can burn.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates