News

Smoke clears Gordon Elementary

KINGSTON — A strong smell of smoke sparking Gordon Elementary School officials to call 911 at about 3:39 p.m. Oct. 30 turned out to be a malfunctioning mechanical unit in the school's attic, according to North Kitsap Fire & Rescue officials. Crews were dispatched from Poulsbo Fire Department and Puget Sound Federal Fire Department as well because of the potential seriousness of the call.

Crews found the building evacuated on arrival, and were ready to activate the building's sprinkler system if needed. Officials said crews investigated the area where the acrid smoke was accumulated, searching through the attic to find the source of the fumes. Electricity to the malfunctioning unit was shut down, and the firefighters cleared the scene.

The school was deemed safe, and classes were back in session today.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.