KINGSTON — A small fire broke out at Kingston Middle School Tuesday morning, but no injuries were reported and students were allowed back into part of the main building.
North Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched at 9:40 a.m.
According to NKF&R spokeswoman Michele Laboda, a teacher smelled smoke near the gymnasium. When the teacher opened the door, flames were seen coming from a vent in the ceiling.
The flames were coming from a malfunctioning HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system; preliminary reports suggest something became caught in a small motor.
The custodian used a fire extinguisher to put out most of the flames that could be seen from the ground.
The students were evacuated while firefighters extinguished the rest of the flames.
Heavy doors in the main building were closed and contained the smoke to about one-third of the building.
Firefighters and school employees began working to siphon out smoke and extinguisher agent from the building at approximately 10:30 a.m.
Students were let back into the building, but their class schedules were disrupted.
This report will be updated as information becomes available.