News

Fire displaces Poulsbo family

 -
— image credit:

Poulsbo – A fire caused by spontaneous combustion of improperly disposed oil-based paint rags left a young family of four without a home.

Neighbors reported flames coming from the home on Levin Road about 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Firefighters from Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue, Poulsbo Fire Department, and Navy Region NW Fire and Emergency Services arrived to find the rear of the home completely engulfed in flames.

No one was inside.

Fire fighting crews battled the blaze using 3,000 gallons of water for nearly 45 minutes.

After investigating, Kitsap County fire marshal found the rags wadded in a basement closet.

The family was renting the home and did not have renters’ insurance. All belongings were lost in the fire.

The family, including two toddlers was immediately offered a place to stay by the Kitsap County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Poulsbo Fire Department members set up a fund to help the family get back on its feet.

For those interested in contributing, call Poulsbo Fire Department at (360) 779-3997.

To prevent future fires like this one, Theresa MacLennan, spokesperson for Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue, said rags soaked in flammable solvents should be line-dried outside and, once completely dry, taken to a landfill.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.