- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Fire damages Viking Feast Ice Cream factory
POULSBO — Viking Feast Ice Cream, Poulsbo's homemade ice cream factory, suffered a fire over the weekend. The silver lining: co-owner Thor Skald said they are having a "fire sale" — $1 off all pints — to clear out the freezers for inspection.
The Fire Marshal concluded Tuesday the source of the fire was a malfunctioned bathroom fan. Skald said when the fan in the bathroom malfunctioned, flames shot downward and burned some plastic handicapped-accessible items.
Skald and his wife arrived at the factory, 20373 Viking Ave., Monday morning and noticed an "odd smell," he said. One of the floor fans was black and the back lights wouldn't turn on. The fire, which is speculated to have happened either Saturday or Sunday night, was pinpointed to the bathroom, and the Skalds called the fire department.
According to the initial report, the bathroom door was closed, allowing the fire to smother itself. No neighboring businesses were affected.
Skald said he also found the back door was unlocked and the lights in the back of the store were left on, "something we should never do." He didn't notice anything missing, but firefighters on the scene were suspicious of arson because of the burn pattern left in the bathroom.
Skald said he’ll continue to clear and inspect his equipment. A professional will repair the faulty wiring — Skald said the front of the shop is wired separately from the back, and he will continue to have the ice cream sale. He expects to be back in production by this weekend.
The Skalds have insurance to cover the damage.