911 Briefs

Woman charged in fatal hit and run

KINGSTON — A Kingston woman was charged Friday after she allegedly struck and killed a pedestrian Thursday evening. Darcy Rae Cary, 39, was driving northbound on Jefferson Point Road when she allegedly hit Virgil Haag, 86, who was walking northbound. Officials believe he may have been walking in the lane of traffic.

Cary turned herself in at the Kingston branch of the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) after the accident. She was arrested and booked into the Kitsap County Jail for felony hit and run resulting in serious injury or death. Cary was arraigned and charged at 3 p.m. Friday in Kitsap County Superior Court. Her bail remained at $25,000. She posted bail and was released at around 3:45 a.m. Friday morning. Officials report she is not permitted to drive while the collision was under investigation.

When Cary turned herself in, she led deputies to her car which was parked on Miller Bay Road between Indianola Road and the Arness Sand Pit. The vehicle had new damage to the passenger side.

Residents who have witnessed this incident or have additional information, should contact Deputy Andy Aman at (360) 337-4634.

Man falls from roof during blaze

POULSBO — A Poulsbo man in his 70s took matters in his own hands when his chimney caught fire Jan. 25. He attempted to extinguish the fire by climbing onto the roof, but he instead fell from the roof.

Pouslbo Fire Department and Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews responded to render aid to the man and put out the fire. The fire had spread to the cedar shake roof. The man was taken to Harrison Medical Center for minor injuries, officials said.

The blaze was under control within 20 minutes of the couple calling 911. The man had apparently waited until the call was placed before climbing on the roof himself. PFD officials would like to remind residents to left firefighters extinguish fires. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal is investigating the blaze, which damaged the attic and roof areas.

Trailer consumed by fire Sunday

POULSBO — No injuries were reported after an unattended pan of grease started a blaze in a double-wide mobile home Sunday afternoon. Poulsbo Fire Department (PFD) officials were able to get the blaze under control in approximately eight minutes, but it still managed to spread through the kitchen.

Crews arrived at 4:19 p.m. at the Lincoln Road trailer, and reported no one was injured in the fire. PFD officials said cooking fires are the No. 1 cause of home fires, and residents should not leave cooking unattended.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates