- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Indianola garage destroyed by fire Easter morning
INDIANOLA — A detached garage was razed and two luxury cars consumed in a fire thought to have started with an electrical problem on Easter Sunday morning, but firefighters were able to limit damage to adjacent structures in this community of densely situated homes.
North Kitsap Fire & Rescue (NKF&R) and Poulsbo Fire Department crews were called to the Shore Drive address at 6:16 a.m. after a man walking his dog noticed smoke coming from the back of the detached garage and alerted the nearby home’s occupants who called 911. As the flames became visible throughout the neighborhood of closely packed waterfront homes, additional persons called to report the incident. The first units arrived on scene in less than seven minutes after dispatch, and reported the 20-foot by 20-foot garage to be fully-involved in flames with live electrical lines arcing and sparking.
Shortly after crews’ arrival, a gasoline can stored inside the structure exploded to send flames more than 50 feet into the air.
Firefighters were able to largely protect an adjacent cabin, situated just five feet away, from the flames though the building’s attic and exterior walls were scorched. Water used to protect it seeped inside, causing water damage to the small structure’s interior. Water from the firefighting efforts also ran into a neighboring home's basement. The garage and its contents – including two Jaguars housed within – were completely destroyed in the fire. The adjacent home was not damaged.
An investigator from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s has determined that the blaze likely started with a problem in an electrical wire in a greenhouse that ran from the property’s main structure. The greenhouse shared a common wall with the back-side of garage which, sided in cedar shakes, caught fire easily.
There were no serious injuries to firefighters or civilians, and the property owner is insured.