- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Chimney fire scorches Poulsbo home; no injuries
POULSBO – Damage from a home blaze was limited and the couple residing in the home was not displaced, after firefighters from two north-end departments were able to quickly stop the fire from spreading Feb. 16.
North Kitsap Fire & Rescue (NKF&R) and Poulsbo Fire Department firefighters were called at 8:05 p.m. Feb. 16, to a 2 1/2 story home off of See Forever Lane. The two residents of the house were alerted to a problem by smoke alarms. Upon discovering flames coming from the chimney as well as the home’s roof, the couple and their dog evacuated the structure and called 911.
The first crew arrived on scene about 8 1/2 minutes after dispatch. They reported flames showing from between the house’s metal roof and wooden soffit. The neighborhood, situated about six miles southwest of Kingston, is not served by fire hydrants; water for the firefighting operation was supplied by tanker trucks. Despite this, crews were able to stop the fire’s progress within ten minutes of arrival. However, it longer to ensure that the fire hadn’t spread and all hot-spots were extinguished — in part, due to the home’s difficult-to-access cathedral ceilings.
Fire damage affected less than 200 square feet of the home’s roof while water damage from extinguishment efforts impacted about one-quarter of the home. Smoke damage was light, and limited to the second story. The couple, who are insured, were not displaced by the incident. An investigator from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene.
Given the evidence and witness reports, the fire is thought to have originated in the home’s chimney and extended to involve the roof. Officials say that the potential for dangerous chimney fires can be reduced with annual cleanings and inspections by certified professionals.