Five pets perish in Poulsbo house fire | Video

POULSBO — Two dogs, two cats and a pet python perished in a house fire Dec. 23 in Poulsbo.

Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynam said Thursday the fire was caused by a coffee maker that was left on and either overheated or malfunctioned.

Poulsbo Fire Department, North Kitsap Fire and Rescue, Navy Region Northwest, and Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue went to the scene — on Pioneer Way, south of the Hood Canal Bridge — just after 9 p.m. When firefighters arrived, the roof was on fire and the kitchen was engulfed in flames.

Firefighters had the fire under control in about 20 minutes but when firefighters searched the residence, they found several pets had died, Poulsbo Fire Department spokeswoman Jody Matson reported.

A neighbor was able to retrieve two other dogs that escaped through a pet door. Firefighters found a cat alive in the basement, Matson reported.

The home suffered significant fire and smoke damage.

The home belongs to a 47-year-old woman and her two sons, 15 and 16. They were not home at the time of the fire. The homeowner was insured.

Firefighters were able to retrieve holiday gifts from the home.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates