Firefighter injured, three pets killed in Hood Canal house blaze
By MEGAN STEPHENSON
October 3, 2011 · Updated 8:49 AM
HOOD CANAL — A firefighter was injured while assisting in a residential house fire on Beach Drive near Hood Canal Bridge Tuesday.
The firefighter was taken to the hospital for burns after receiving electro shock, but injuries are not believed to be serious, according to Jody Matson, Poulsbo Fire Department public information officer. He was using a chainsaw to cut through the walls to clear a path to the fire which had spread through the house when he hit electrical wires.
The fire was reported at 11:20 a.m. Tuesday, and an aid car from Poulsbo Station 72 was first to arrive at 11:27 a.m. The unit had been out on an emergency medical incident. Units from North Kitsap Fire and Rescue, Port Ludlow Fire and Rescue and Navy Region Northwest also responded.
The fire spread through the walls of the older home, built without fire stops in the walls, up to the second floor and attic, and took over an hour to extinguish, according to reports. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal reported the fire was caused from a malfunction in the dish washer, according to Matson.
The two women who own the home are out of town, but have been informed of the fire, according to their son, Noah Britton. Their granddaughter, Susan Thompson, was housesitting at the time. She was at an appointment when she got a call from her neighbors reporting the fire. The owners' two dogs and a cat that were inside when the fire broke out perished.
"Thank God I had these dogs with me," Thompson said of her own dogs.
Contact North Kitsap Herald Megan Stephenson at email@example.com or 360-779-4464.