- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Alert passerby helps avert major fire in downtown Poulsbo
UPDATE: That's A Some Italian reopened at 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
POULSBO — A kitchen fire, which could have proved devastating for historic downtown Poulsbo businesses, was quickly extinguished Wednesday before 11 p.m.
Poulsbo Fire Department, Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue, North Kitsap Fire and Rescue, and Navy Region Northwest responded to the call at That's A Some Italian Ristorante after a passerby noticed flames inside the restaurant.
"There were flames on the stove and grill area,” Poulsbo Fire Lt. Tom Harvey said. “I was able to extinguish it within about 10 minutes with a dry chemical extinguisher."
Capt. Shane Anderson added, "There were initial reports of smoke coming from the eaves. Given the age of this building, coupled with several businesses under one roof, we needed to ensure we had adequate resources to fight the fire should it have spread up through the attic area."
Official damages were unavailable at press time but appear to be confined to the stove and hood area.
“Because of this good samaritan, it was all over in 10 minutes,” owner Tom Pelland said. “There is no damage of any kind, just some minor cleanup.”
The restaurant was closed Thursday for a safety inspection.
There were no injuries reported. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the incident.
— With reporting by Sarah Kehoe