- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Geoduck diver taken to hospital following accident
SUQUAMISH — A 30-year-old commercial diver was taken to a hospital Thursday after his breathing apparatus malfunctioned near Suquamish.
The Port Orchard man was harvesting geoduck while tethered with an air hose to a boat, said North Kitsap Fire & Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda. The diver was at a depth of 60 feet at about 11:30 a.m. when his breathing apparatus malfunctioned.
Laboda said the malfunction forced the diver to surface faster than recommended to avoid decompression sickness. He was driven by boat to a dock at Kiana Lodge in Suquamish where he was evaluated by medics.
The man showed no symptoms of sickness and was transported to Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton as a precaution, Laboda said.
It was the second geoduck diving accident in as many months in the Suquamish area. Two Bremerton divers were hospitalized Dec. 14 after the support boat they were tethered to drug them into deep water in Port Madison.